Thursday, September 6, 2007

Fish and Chips Restaurant - DJ

1146 West SR 436
Altamonte Springs, FL 32714
407.862.2262

What a welcome surprise this little restaurant is. It may not be anything to look at from the outside, located in a strip mall in Forest City, but once inside it is warm and friendly. The staff is very efficient and helpful. There are 6 4-top tables and 5 seats at the bar. While I was there the bar was occupied by a takeout customer. The flat panel TV above the bar was on the Food Network.

The menu consists of fish dishes as well as burgers and crab cakes. This being my first visit I had to try the fish and chips. I choose the Grouper. It came on a green ceramic plate with steak fries and a side of coleslaw. The fish was fried in a light batter. The grouper was firm yet tender with a delicious taste and not greasy. The coleslaw was excellent. It was sweet and creamy, yet not drowning in sauce.


Midway through my meal the owner Chef Ray came out to make sure everything was to my liking. I assured him that it was.

One my next visit I think I’ll have the salmon “Grilled perfectly with our own blend of spices. Tender and full of flavor” (as described in the menu) sounds good.

Rating: ****
Service: ****
Cost Meal/Soda: $11.45

Closed on Monday

Orlando Sentinel review

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I went to the Fish and Chips Restaurant on 436 (1146 West SR 436
Altamonte Springs, FL 32714)for the last time on 1/25/2008. I have been to this restaurant three times and each time they have tried to shaft and or disparage me. The first time I brought a coupon I had gotten from restaurant.com. They made a point of telling me after I was done that i wasn't welcome back for a month afterwards because i had used one of the coupons. The second time I came back (about 6 weeks later) I brought one of the coupons again and they looked for ways to increase the bill because we were going to get a discount. We ordered a side of gravy-knowing that we would be charged for it. We didn't intend to order more but after it was gone they asked us "would you like a refill." We said yes and they brought the extra gravy to us and then charged us for four of them. On top of that they charged us tax on our bill twice. By the time this was done it would have actually been to our benefit not to use the coupon. (as it also added 18% guaranteed gratuity and at this point I would have left no tip) I went back for the final time today. I just can't seem to learn my lesson. Today we didn't even have a coupon with us. There were two of us and we requested separate checks. We had identical meals. It came to 8.80 each. I gave them my debit card and my buddy gave them cash for his. The waiter told us that we would have to have a minimum of 10.00 on the card. So he charged my card 10.00 and still charged my buddy 8.80 (rather than 10.00 for my card and 7.60 to my buddy in cash). The restaurant overcharged us by 1.20 at this point. I left no tip and even wrote on the bill no tip. I mean if you have a lunch menu where all of the meals are 6.45 plus drink then you know that is going to come out to under 10.00. Make the minimum for the card 5.00 instead. This restaurant will nickel and dime you repeatedly. The floors were dirty and the bathrooms were dirty-and you know what they say about restaurants like that-their KITCHENS are dirty. STAY AWAY!!!