Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Homecooked Venezuela Potluck - DT

Hola. So I says to my friend KM, "I understand your mom cooks a mean Empanadas." She says, "No. She cooks a mean Empanadas and a mean Cachappas." So I says, "Since she flew all the way in from Venezuela, we should have a potluck in the office and invite your mom." So she did. Wow. Peer pressure still works at my age. Besides ten deserts from the less than ethnic members of our team, we enjoyed BBQ meatballs, yellow rice and white rice with red beans. Mama M. treated us to our fill of Empanadas and Cachappas. She graciously provided a choice of accompanyments: guacamole, mozzerella cheese and Honduras Cream.


The guacmole was simple and heavy with Cilantro. The Honduras Cream was pourable at room temp and tasted like cream cheese. The Empanadas were very good. A corn meal pocket filled with chicken, green pepper, onions, cilantro, garlic and smashed potatoes seasoned with Adobo and deep fried just right. Cachappas, also based on a corn mixture, are cooked like pancakes. Excellent with the Honduras Cream. MC, the Asian Latino, came through with a very honorable mention. A French recipe, light almond cookie. He says he used flour but you can't tell by looking at it. While thin, this cookie taste great. He didn't know what they were called so I found a very similar recipe for something called Lace Almond Tuiles. So for potluck, I think we all experienced something new and tasty today. So adios, au revoir, Tsai Chen. I'm really not sure what to call it today...



No comments: