Thursday, July 26, 2007

Grouper & Chips – DJ

4932 New Broad Street
Orlando, Florida 32814
407.647.FISH
www.grouperandchips.com

I had the Grouper sandwich basket ($10.95), which included a Grouper sandwich, fries, and coleslaw. I choose to have my fish blackened which might have been a mistake. Most restaurants do not know the meaning of blackened fish. See note below. The fish was good but it was a little on the bland side. The fries were average. I did see boxes of Idaho potatoes on my trip to the restroom. So I know that the chips were freshly made. They were just not crispy on the outside and steaming on the inside. The coleslaw might have been the best thing on my plate.


The restaurant which is in Baldwin Park was completely full by the time we left at 12:45. There was outside seating that would be nice on a cool evening. The restaurant is nicely decorated. There are posters of 1950’s stars on the walls, James Dean, Elvis, and Marilyn Monroe. The owner/manager was in the process of hanging a framed article by the Chowhound while we were there. In the Chowhound's article he mentions that he was recently in London. I too have been in London recently and had Fish and Chips at a place close to Gloucester Station. It was what I expected of English fish and chips greasy and steaming hot with lots of vinegar. Next time at Grouper and Chips I’ll try the 2 piece Grouper basket so that I can have the English experience that the Chowhound liked so much. Overall the meal was good just not as good as I had anticipated.

Rating: **
Service: ***
Quantity: Just right
Price: Meal/Water $11.75

Note on how to cook Cajun blackened fish:
Preheat grill with heavy cast-iron skillet or griddle in the grill. Get it good and hot. Dip each fillet into butter and sprinkle Cajun blackening spices on both sides. Place in skillet. Cook about 2 minutes or until the bottom is almost black but not burned. Flip over. Pour about a teaspoon of butter on the cooked side and continue cooking about 2 minutes or until fillet is finished. Serve immediately.

No comments: